DS23 Safari Restoration

i used a socket with a long extension through the wheelarch after removing the guard. need to turn the drivesaft to get them all. You might get them with a spanner but as above, they can be tight

i used a socket with a long extension through the wheelarch after removing the guard. need to turn the drivesaft to get them all. You might get them with a spanner but as above, they can be tight
On my DS23 its impossible to fit a socket. The nut sits in a pocket that is too short for a socket

If I recall to remove those triaxe housings I used a mixture of long extension bars and a spanner. Needed a decent bit of leverage to get them undone.

When I did them back up, I used a 3/8th inch ratchet, on a long extension bar. Then to torque them up, I used the 1/2 inch torque wrench ( as that’s all i have!) It was all pretty tight and uncomfortable!
On my DS23 the triax nuts sit in a pocket. Its too short to fit a socket and only a ring spanner can be fitted to the nut. I have a torque wrench but it can't be used as it works with a socket

Your project sounds fascinating! do you thnk there might be a missing spring causing the return issue? Check if the horizontal coil spring on the pivot shaft is intact. Also, your restoration journey is inspiring!
Cheers!

The OEM spring doesn't just work one way, they have a dual action provided by the fact that maximum extension of the spring is somewhere in the middle of the arc of movement of the clutch pedal. So the spring pulls the pedal one way until maximum extension point and then past that point it pulls the clutch pedal the other way. When the pedal is up at rest position, the spring pulls the pedal up to its stop point so there is free play in the cable and throughout system and it provides some resistance to depression of the pedal, but once the pedal depression passes the spring maximum extension point, the spring then helps the driver push the pedal down against the springing in the clutch pressure plate. So you can see it is all about where the point of maximum extension occurs in the arc of the clutch pedal and this is shown by there being several points on the ripple at the top of the clutch pedal diagram where the spring can be placed. So with no cable or clutch attachment, the pedal should go to either up or down with a change in direction of the spring action as the pedal moves through the point of maximum spring extension

These springs are strong and often fail at either end where the hook points have been bent. I have seen this on CXes where the spring is often missing.

It looks to me like someone has tried to modify the original system in reponse to a spring failure to provide the same function. It will ony work properly when the whole system is fully attached and free play is correct.

Cheers, Ken