210.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20230108_103827.jpg
    20230108_103827.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230108_103802.jpg
    20230108_103802.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I actually ended up with two of these as my original one was on lone, misplaced then returned nearly a year later. I purchased another thinking it was gone for good. I didn't realise the tad-99 typo in my original ad. I think the tad-99 only does 504 and/or 505.

The two i had were both tad4-99 as pictured above. From what I know the tad4-99 does a larger range of models and has more features. I sold one a while back and was planning to hang on the second one for now.

Hi DJVU205,

I understand, I am ultra keen to buy it for my 205 GTI Series III. Ever since I have had it it has pinged slightly on 98 octane, I believe a previous owner has advanced the ignition and from what i am told the TAD 4-99 has a feature that allows one to adjust the timing. Many years ago Shell sold 100 Optimax Extreme and I can attest this was the only fuel that it wouldn't "ping" when driving. I am happy to make you an offer commensurate with your price or more but I don't know if there is a private messaging facility on Aussie Frogs. If you did agree to sell it to me I'd agree for you to loan it, I did see quite a stable of 205's in your vehicle history !

Sorrento Green

Hi DJVU205,

I completely understand and respect your descision to kepp your TAD 4-99 tester, but i just wanted to be sure. I'd be happy to discuss a price ...

Sorrento Green

I actually ended up with two of these as my original one was on lone, misplaced then returned nearly a year later. I purchased another thinking it was gone for good. I didn't realise the tad-99 typo in my original ad. I think the tad-99 only does 504 and/or 505.

The two i had were both tad4-99 as pictured above. From what I know the tad4-99 does a larger range of models and has more features. I sold one a while back and was planning to hang on the second one for now.
504 and 505 have distributors and carbies or L/K jet so no.

I understand, I am ultra keen to buy it for my 205 GTI Series III. Ever since I have had it it has pinged slightly on 98 octane, I believe a previous owner has advanced the ignition and from what i am told the TAD 4-99 has a feature that allows one to adjust the timing.

I think the TAD-99 menu to adjust the advance setting is only for Magneti-Marelli ecus
E - READ THE ADVANCE SETTING MEMORISED BY THE ECU
Where necessary, restore the setting to its original value.

For Bosch ecus it can only do the following
VII - BOSCH A2.2 - MA3.0 - MA3.1 - MP3.1 - MP3.2 - MP5.1 - MP5.2 - M1.3 - ML4.1 ECU
A - READ THE FAULTS
Repair any faults.
Erase faults.
B - RICHNESS AUTO-ADAPTIVITY
Engine warm, coolant temperature above 60°C.
Perform a road test for at least 15 minutes using the various engine speeds
and in particular:
2500 - 3500 rpm,
idle speed,
full load (for 2 seconds).
C - READ THE FAULTS
Repair any faults.
Erase faults.
Start the ECU initialisation procedure again (operation B).

The two i had were both tad4-99 as pictured above. From what I know the tad4-99 does a larger range of models and has more features.
Your TAD4-99 can display 4 rows of data vs 1 row of fault codes only on the earlier TAD-99

TAD 99a.jpg

K Jetronic is mechanical, no ECU? In any case the 504 only had the Kugelfischer mechanical Injection with the cold start being the only extra wire from the carby model.

K Jetronic is mechanical, no ECU? In any case the 504 only had the Kugelfischer mechanical Injection with the cold start being the only extra wire from the carby model.
I recall this type of tool for mercs to display the KE-Jetronic duty cycle codes and frequency, so let's rule out 504 :)

Hi Alex / Graham, I note your caution regarding the ability to advance or retard the timing may only relate to the Magneti-Marelli ECU. I may have seen that elsewhere, I am still keen to buy a TAD 4-99, I shan't but a TAD 99.

I know this is possibly not the thread to discuss but do either of you know of anyone who is considering selling a TAD 4-99 tester ?

I may also put a request in "Wanted."

Sorrento Green