203 in progress

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi folks, since getting the beasty last September I've been working pretty hard on her.
I had a thread here that some may remember, before the crash, so I'll just jog your memory by putting up the pics I have already on my website from then.
The first lot are of the journey from Melbourne up to the Hunter Valley when I bought 'Toots'.
203g.jpg

203f.jpg

203e.jpg

203d.jpg

203c.jpg

203b.jpg

203a.jpg

She went quite well, but the fumes nearly killed me , sat on around 70mph most of the way, sleeping for awhile on the eastern side of Dubbo and arriving mid morning at beautiful Stewarts Brook.
All round she's a very clean car but the paint needed replacement as rust was showing and there was a lot of crazing and flaking, and later, I know it may seem back to front, I will fix the engine and the gearbox which falls out of gear on steep inclines.
So here are the first shots of the initial strip down and first undercoating.

203-1.jpg

203-2.jpg

203-3.jpg

203-4.jpg

203-5.jpg

203-6.jpg

203-7.jpg

203-8.jpg

As of today I have the dash painted, the wiring is redone and she is ready for colour. I've had to use a bit of filler in all the guards but not in the roof, bonnet or boot. So far I haven' worked on the doors.
I managed to leave the hood lining in place and drag the old wiring loom through and then feed the new wire back the same way. I am planning to use LED festoon globes in the stop/tail lights which I have modified to include the indicator instead of the reflector .
I have also got the semiphores operational and have them hooked up to the three way original parker switch which will be next to the steering column instead of being next to the fuses. That way I can use them at will when I want to show off.
I have decided to hook up the small cabachon parker lights as indicators on the normal indicator circuit.
I'm also thinking of installing 406 seats although this will only be until I can get the originals done up in red leather.
More photos soon .

great progress there, what is the chosen color ?

405 seats are easy to fit and are comfy(ones with soft sides)

even used the existing bolt holes !

suggest you get some sound deadning underfelt from 505 wreck or similar

screw it onto the firewall up as high as you can and seal ALL the holes around cables etc thru the firewall

it makes it a lot quieter

cheers

great progress there, what is the chosen color ?

405 seats are easy to fit and are comfy(ones with soft sides)

even used the existing bolt holes !

suggest you get some sound deadning underfelt from 505 wreck or similar

screw it onto the firewall up as high as you can and seal ALL the holes around cables etc thru the firewall

it makes it a lot quieter

cheers

Trouble is the 405 seats are designed to bolt to a ramp and will sit very flat if fitted to a 203, all depends on your seating preferences I guess.
I replaced the 405 seats with 205 but still not that happy, the present Citroen Ax seats are great (even have the removable squab to gain access to the under seat bins!) but near impossible to get hold of of course.
Graham

Not sure about the seats, I have a set from my dead 406. I think they'll bolt straight onto the original frames.
Anyway today I got the colour on and should get the clear on tomorrow with a bit of luck. I think I'll fit the bonnet for the final clear coats.
Here are before and after pics and a shot of the dash. I need to get some of those silly trim clips with the bendy tags. It's made like a tonka toy in that area.
The colour is called Saphire Bleu and is a VW colour from 1970. Don't think I ever saw a VW this colour.

203bluea.jpg

203blueb.jpg

203blue1.jpg

203blue2.jpg

203blue3.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm terribly sorry, I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Sorry, attention seeking behaviour. Do you really hate the colour?
:joker:

Regrettably I have ISP ssues and I haven't been able to bring the colour pictures up. That picture along the bonnet on the highway is great.
As to if the colour suits, I think every 203 owner sees his car in a different way. I also think the early cars present a different line to the later ones. I would see two tone as breaking up the line of the car, but in reality the two tone cars in the Redex re-run looked rather good.
My car used to jump out of gear but I sourced a new gearbox top and it fixed the problem. The tops wear and the linkages can have slack.
To make a liar of me it just brought up the colour. Not far from an original colour. I remember 203's in a very similar blue. It looks good, suits the car and isn't too "modern". Are you going to leave the wheels white?

Last edited:
Good, I didn't want to make it like a hotrod colour and I'm very pleased with it as the clear goes on. The wheels have been very nicely painted and have almost new Michelins on so I'm going to wait till new tyre time to decide whether to repaint them. I like the look of whitewalls but would not be bothered with them.

i think it looks great ! gorgeous blue IMO.

Nice of you to say so Spar.

I've done a bit more now. Got most of the clear on although it needs at least one more complete rub back and more clear. Also hooked up the dash and the wiring to test my rewire. Happily it starts and charges although haven't hooked up lights to test yet, but under the bonnet is good to go.
203blue4.jpg

203blue5.jpg

203blue6.jpg

203blue7.jpg

203blue8.jpg

very nice...

colour is good to...same as my 604...all the shiny bits should contrast nicely against it...

whats the plan for the interior...navy blue???

well done

:cheers:

dino

very nice...

colour is good to...same as my 604...all the shiny bits should contrast nicely against it...

whats the plan for the interior...navy blue???

well done

:cheers:

dino

Thanks Dino.
Eventually I want red leather as the trim, seats and linings. I think it will contrast nicely with the blue on the door tops and the dash.
I'm going to try out the 406 seats first and if they work, I'll see if I can get the right colour of sheepskin covers for those bucket seats. Bit of a sucker for those seats.

I had two 203s, one black and one light grey. I think the dark colours suit the shape and a red interior will show the blue off beautifully. My black one had red interior.

You cruised up at 70mph, we had a rule that 4,000 rpm was the cruising limit on the 3 bearing motors (it was raised to 5,000 rpm when we moved to 404/504), I guess that is pretty close to 70.

As you can see I have jumped ship but I have a real soft spot for 203s. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Greg

And didn't your 2 l injected 404 go like stink! My 504s used to be happy to cruise at 80mph around 4000 rpm from memory but of course today we are told that your brain will explode and eyes will pop out as the sky falls in at those speeds! Neil:wink2:

Looks beautiful.

I think the original 203 shade of blue is called 'Royal blue' and I think that's the colour my dad's 1955 203C is. Your shade looks a little brighter and more vibrant, but still looks great! His dash is still a milky grey though, as it was...

When you've finished, you will enjoy one of the finest driving experiences available. The 203 is a brilliant car. Love your work.

Binky.

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys.
Today I got the headlights fitted after a long day of polishing yesterday. So much more polishing to do which is making me feel quite weary.
And still to work on doors and sills. Wow, it's so much work.
But she's looking better all the time.
Cheers.
203blue9.jpg

203blue10.jpg

203blue11.jpg

Hmmm sin cream eh? Like 30++ total blockout? The mind boggles.

I got some shiny bits on today.

203blue12.jpg

Only one gripe, you need to get a black battery for her

Greg