Alloy wheel advice needed

baldrick56

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
G'day All,
I spent last Friday on a rural road dodging potholes - until the inevitable one I didn't see in time, sent a reverberating crash through the car. At the end of the journey I saw a big scuff mark on the tyre sidewall and there was a slight bulge or blister in the sidewall at that point. Kept the speed down to 80k max. for the rest of the weekend (much to the annoyance of people behind) and today replaced the wheel (with the stock dia./width) to keep the car going. Worse still I think the rim flange is slightly distorted at the impact point. There's one place in Sydney advertises removing buckles from alloy wheels so might give them a call, has anyone else needed this done? any idea of likely costs?
Thanks,
Rob
IMG_3062.jpg
IMG_3063.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg

I've used Mag Wheel Repairs, Kings Park. It was a long time ago though!

I bought a set of 17" AMG Mercedes wheels many years ago at a swap meet for cheap.
There was no real damage apparent, but I thought I'd bolt them onto a wheel hub and give them a spin before I fitted tyres.
They must of come off a rollover, all 4 were seriously buckled.
A local guy rolled them straiģht for me, I don't think yours will be much of a challenge unless the alloy has cracked, even then they will weld it up. Where I had mine fixed he had a HSV Holden wheel sitting there that was absolutely shattered. I said "you're not fixing that are you"?
Old matey just went "yup".

Neway in Melbourne ( Heidelberg Heights) did a very similar injury on an Alfa wheel for me a couple of years ago

Being in Melbourne they won’t be much use to you but it was regarded as a straightforward repair and only set me back about 150.00

It is certainly do’able, just need to be sure that you have repaired who will say “ no” if can’t safely be done

Good luck

Andrew

Quite a few places around Sydney that can do it. Although I have no direct experience. I'm about to send some wheels off to CNC wheels for refacing (diamond cut) and a minor bend taken out of one rim. Expect to pay anywhere from $150-250 per rim. If it's just fixing a small buckle I can't imagine it'd be more than $150

Rallimax in Canberra has retired alloy wheels for me and do a great job. they are based in Fyshwick. usually they send to wicked wheels in Queanbeyan if they need repaint.