C5 ‘06 loud sound under car

T03Y

Fellow Frogger
Hey happy to report I’ve now had my (2nd) C5 for 4 years- not bad for 4k.

Latest idiosyncrasy though:
It has a loud creak/cracking sound from underneath towards the rear caused by any change in the load. Sometimes just getting in, or changing the height, using the towbar etc. Coming out of my steep twisty driveway.

Any guesses or similar experiences?
Thanks

Sounds like a suspension bush or something similar, get someone to bounce up and down on the tow and see if you can locate the exact source of the noise. When you have found it, you can then decide what to do about it.

As well as pushing down on the suspension, try lifting the towbar.

As this is a first generation C5 it will have NO rubber bushes in the rear suspension. It is more likely to be the rear suspension bearings. The rear suspension is a trailing arm. The bearings are needle rollers and go dry and fail. You may be able to see some poor alignment of the rear wheels. Are they standing vertical when viewed from behind .. is it "knock kneed " ?

I can’t replicate the sound lifting the tow bar etc. It seems to occur once when the car has been sitting only.
Re alignment- yes I would say the offside rear wheel looks angled slightly out at the base.

As below

Attachments

• IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 37
I occasionally put a rack on the tow bar for two ebikes in my job at the moment. I hope it’s not at risk of falling apart 😬

Looks seriously knock kneed from that picture. I suggest you request further suggestions about HOW the rear arm bearings are replaced. I have never done it or seen it being done. Hou should add your location too so advice about repairers can be suggested too.

Byron Shire is NSW, far N coast - so Lismore and Gold Coast are within reach

It will be the rear swing arm bearings. A common kit is available to replace the existing collapsed bearings.

Reactions: COL
Unfortunately a reasonably common problem which is not too difficult to fix if you have a few tools. There is probably a link to a video or similar somewhere in Aussiefrogs.
I'll just mention a couple of things,the repair kits are available on Ebay at various prices but be aware that some prices quoted are for a kit but1 side only so you would need 2 of these making it very expensive it is a trap..

The full kit i.e both sides is available locally and overseas from very reputable suppliers at competitive prices, probably 3 weeks delivery o/s quicker locally via Auspost.

If left too long the aluminium arms cam get damaged so better sooner than later, remove the ABS sensor from the arm prior to avoid breaking the wires.

The bearings must fitted with preload and there is a shim kit available locally from Citroen / Peugeot dealers to facilitate this adjustment, and of course plenty of grease in the bearings and the grease tube, and note the orientation of the oil seals mechanics often fit them incorrectly ( reversed 180 degrees ).

Hope this is useful