Laguna (?) PRV engine source for hot Alpine build

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
So team, what is the best source car in Australia for a PRV engine for a hot Alpine GTA build? Laguna, or Volvo or.....?

Turbo or N/A?
Some years ago (14?), I bought a 960? Volvo engine from a wrecker. The engine was out of the car and the car already crushed so I didn't see it. The engine designation is B280F so is a later evenfire 2850cc N/A engine. It has the additional bolts that go from the side of the block into the main bearing caps. With a set of Alpine A610 pistons and sleeves, (2mm bigger bore) which fit straight in, it is now 2975cc. I will be using the original GTA Turbo heads that have nicer ports than the B280F, with the larger Volvo valves and camshafts. With aftermarket injection and a Garrett GT3071R turbo and say 20psi of boost it should go OK. After all this time I expect I will get back to the build next year sometime.

There was an imported Citroen XM with a 24Valve PRV in it sold cheaply recently. Quite probably in N/A form particularly I expect that would be the best choice for ultimate power, just not common. Richard Markham in Qld Peugeot club has one of these engines in a 504 cabriolet, but he had a spare, many years ago at least. Perhaps you could get one from Europe or the UK.

I’m guessing you want 3litre (2975cc) Early 605, or laguna 1995 more chance to find the laguna than the 605.

With the Volvo you want the 1988 -89 760 GLE which is the evenfired 2849cc. Anything earlier normally is the oddfired version.

Fill us in with your plans 😎

Just putting this out there would the L7X or ESJ9 engines bolt into the V6 Alpines? These are the V6 engines that followed the PRV group engines. They would be plenty of these around as they are found in the Renault Laguna and Peugeot 406 & 407. This is the engine that is also found in the Renault V6 Clio.

These engines come from cars that are east/west engines where as the PRV were originally from north/south engined cars but were also turned round 90 deg as in the first series of the Renault Laguna.

Just putting this out there would the L7X or ESJ9 engines bolt into the V6 Alpines? These are the V6 engines that followed the PRV group engines. They would be plenty of these around as they are found in the Renault Laguna and Peugeot 406 & 407. This is the engine that is also found in the Renault V6 Clio.

These engines come from cars that are east/west engines where as the PRV were originally from north/south engined cars but were also turned round 90 deg as in the first series of the Renault Laguna.
I got the Peugeot engine code wrong, it should be ES9 not ESJ9 :rolleyes:

still Renault.... Latitude ? 3.5 24v 3,498 cc (213 cu in) DOHC V6; 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp) at 6000; 330 N⋅m (243 lb⋅ft) at 4200
The heavy sedan is said to manage 0-100kph in 6.4, it's certainly nice to drive, and passes with confidence... :)
Probably easier to source in Oz via a Nissan donor.
Bob

There was an imported Citroen XM with a 24Valve PRV in it sold cheaply recently. Quite probably in N/A form particularly I expect that would be the best choice for ultimate power, just not common. Richard Markham in Qld Peugeot club has one of these engines in a 504 cabriolet, but he had a spare, many years ago at least. Perhaps you could get one from Europe or the UK.
There would be XM fanciers not very happy to see that junked to make a Renault! It's a rare car even in Europe and especially as RHD. You may just need a pair of 24V heads to bolt to a 12 Valve PRV bottom end if you want 24 valves. That would certainly be easier to ship. Keep in mind that that early versions of that engine reportedly had some top-end lubrication problems. Laguna is probably the most pragmatic local 12V donor here.

An ES9 engine is not quite the same as a PRV, but same capacity, physical size and already 24 Valves. Much easier to find and they produced similar power to the 24V PRV in the production XMs.

So team, what is the best source car in Australia for a PRV engine for a hot Alpine GTA build? Laguna, or Volvo or.....?
Well you're not getting your hands on my 605!! (PRV, East/West, like the XM). Or my 406 (ES9J4S)...

Thanks guys. Truely I am asking the question for a friend.
It's about time I orded some bits to put the engine back together in my A310 1600.....