US drop shippers?

duncan16v

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Way off on a tangent, I know, but hoping someone might have some positive experience to share. The story so far: I have taken on the care and feeding of a 1950's-era Hyster Straddle Truck, so I'm looking for a parts and maintenance manual. There are a few in the USA - and one vendor has the manual I need but doesn't ship to Australia. I've messaged the vendor and they said 'use eBay's international shipping option' which doesn't exist because they don't ship to Australia. So I messaged them back and it's crickets. (<rant>I mean, honestly - you've had this book on eBay for **months**. It's the work of a second to update the listing so you can sell it</rant>). Which took me down the path of investigating drop ship companies in the US like MyUS, Shipit and others. The best Google review of these companies appears to be 3 stars with loads of comments saying things like slow, unresponsive, etc etc - enough to warn me off using them. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether you get what you paid for.

Does anyone have any experience with US drop shippers and has used one they'd be prepared to recommend?

Here's a picture of the beastie in question. I'm not looking forward to mucking about with the mechanicals suspended 2m off the ground...

Hyster.jpeg

AusPost has (had?) a service where they offer a US address and then forward on to you. Probably not cheap though.
You could also try Alibris.com and see if you can find a copy of the manual, but so much has been scanned into digital form that you might find it as a pdf somewhere.

Thanks David - I haven't been able to find Hyster documentation for their vintage kit online. There are a few docs for their modern forklifts but nothing for the old stuff.

So far, the only source for the manual I'm after is an eBay seller who is a little bit. Ummm. Special.

What is the model number? You'd be surprised what a serious online search can sometimes find, and don't limit yourself to English, as translation is easier now.

It's a Hyster MH3 63 72 - dunno what the trailing 4 digits mean. Maybe year of construction and something else?

Have it sent to me in Canada, if the seller will even do that....and I'd post it onward. Air mail would be expensive but surface (1-2 months) would not likely be too bad for an average manual. Send me a message if you know he will send to Canada.

These days, you may run into problems with the shipping address / recipient not being the billing address / cardholder.

I can recommend MyUS.com for shipping from US or UK.
They will repack into smaller cartons to save you postage

I'm going to be in Seattle on 15/16 May for the rolling Stones, so could it be sent to my hotel?
Bringing car parts back like this you will need correct documentation, cost, receipts with identified duty rates for customs clearance in Oz

Bringing car parts back like this you will need correct documentation, cost, receipts with identified duty rates for customs clearance in Oz
Well they're not exactly "car" parts - but no doubt all that still applies...

Duncan,

I'm in the US. Are you shipping parts, a manual or both? I'd be glad to help you out if possible.

Fred Johnson

Reactions: IWS
Duncan,

I'm in the US. Are you shipping parts, a manual or both? I'd be glad to help you out if possible.

Fred Johnson
Thanks for the offer Fred. I’ve found the original owner who thinks he *may* still have the manual. So I won’t need to muck about with shipping…